1. Grief comes and goes, but depression is unremitting.
—Kay Redfield Jamison
2. Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.
3. Depression is frustrating. It’s knowing there’s so much to be grateful for and happy about and to enjoy, but you just can’t get there.
4. Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement.
5. Depression is rage spread thin.
6. If depression is creeping up and must be faced, learn something about the nature of the beast: You may escape without a mauling.
—R. W. Shepherd
7. Negative thinking patterns can be immensely deceptive and persuasive, and change is rarely easy. But with patience and persistence, I believe that nearly all individuals suffering from depression can improve and experience a sense of joy and self-esteem once again.
—David D. Burns