1. Evermore people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for.
2. Don’t aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one’s personal dedication to a cause greater.
3. Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.
4. Faith is trust in ultimate meaning.
5. For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person’s life at a given moment.
6. For the world is in a bad state, but everything will become still worse unless each of us does his best.
7. If there is a meaning in life at all, then there must be a meaning in suffering. Suffering is an ineradicable part of life, even as fate and death. Without suffering and death, human life cannot be complete.
8. In some ways suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.
9. Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.
10. Love is the only way to grasp another human being in the innermost core of his personality.
11. Religion is the search for ultimate meaning.
12. Those who have a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’.
13. We can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: 1. by doing a deed; 2. by experiencing a value; and 3. by suffering.